Benefits Appeals

Q: If I disagree with a decision of the Division, can I appeal?

A: Yes. Practically every action of the division affecting an employer or a worker may be appealed for review by an impartial referee or hearing officer.

Appeals from benefit determinations may be made by either the employer or the claimant and are heard by an Appeals Branch referee. Be sure to include the social security number and/or the employer number of the claimant when sending documentation. If either party is dissatisfied with the decision of the referee, a further appeal may be filed with the Unemployment Insurance Commission, and, thereafter, through the courts.

The chart below summarizes the steps in the appeals process. Please pay particular attention to the number of days specified for each type of appeal- FILING YOUR APPEAL ON TIME IS ESSENTIAL FOR PROTECTING YOUR APPEAL RIGHTS. Remember that appeals from claims must be filed from the very first notice you receive.

Employer’s Notice of Initial claim
(UI-412A) *Return within 10 days of mailing date*
Notice of Potential Benefit Charges
(UI-412) *Return within 15 days of mailing date*
Notice of Adjusted Determination (UI-492) Appeal to Referee *File within 15 days of mailing date of determination*
Referee’s Decision Appeal to UI Commission: send letter stating intent to appeal *File within 15 days of mailing date of Referee Decision*
Commission Order Appeal to Circuit Court: in county where claimant was employed *File within 20 days of mailing date of UI Commission Order*

   Next >>